What is “Raw Feeding” and why make the switch?
Known around the world as ‘BARF’ (Biologically appropriate raw feeding), raw feeding aims to give dogs a diet that is appropriate to their digestive systems and as close as possible to what they might have eaten as wild animals. The stomach pH in dogs is much lower than that of humans, meaning they are able to break down raw meat and bone.
As a nation we adore our pets, and of course this extends to what we give them to eat. Dog Foods often promise the world, but on closer inspection many contain ingredients such as sugars, meat meals and meat derivatives.
Other reported benefits of raw feeding include:
- Fresher breath, cleaner whiter teeth
- More stable energy – less hyperactivity
- Easier to digest, sensitive stomachs improve
- Reduction of allergies and intolerance
- Clears up anal gland issues
- Less flatulence
- Conditions such as diabetes and epilepsy reportedly needing less medication
- Improvement in conditions such as colitis
- Inflammatory issues such as skin conditions or joint inflammation reduced
- Improved energy levels in older dogs
- Stools are harder, smell less and much easier to pick up
For more information and advice on raw please contact us.